Find cheap flights to Johannesburg
Good to know
|Average price:||₹ 70,277|
|Good deal:||₹ 29,226|
Best time to beat the crowds
expected price decrease
Most popular time to fly
expected price increase
(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)
or less (return)
Top tips for finding cheap flights to Johannesburg
- Looking for cheap airfare to Johannesburg? 25% of our users found return tickets to Johannesburg for the following prices or less: From Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji ₹ 29,225, from Bengaluru Intl ₹ 33,533, from New Delhi Indira Gandhi Intl ₹ 49,756
- Book at least 2 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be March, April and May. The cheapest month to fly to Johannesburg is October.
- There are a number of national carriers that operate flights to Johannesburg from India, although none of them fly direct. Your choice of airline might depend on where your journey originates, which airlines you have an affiliation with or where you would like to have a stopover. The airlines flying from India into OR Tambo International Airport include Air Seychelles, Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airlines and Etihad Airways. All international flights land at Terminal A.
- For passengers travelling with a baby on flights to Johannesburg, you will be pleased to know that OR Tambo International Airport has baby care facilities with changing tables located in most of the female toilet facilities throughout both terminals. Look out for the signs that will direct you to the nearest baby care facility.
- Hungry travellers who are transferring to regional flights and have a layover in Terminal A at OR Tambo International Airport can satisfy their appetite at a number of restaurants. You can choose from McGinty’s pub or the News Café bar and restaurant, while the Africa Lounge bar and restaurant is in the duty free area of Terminal A.
- If you need to exchange currency before travelling from the airport into Johannesburg, ATMs, banks such as ABSA and currency exchange counters including Master Currency, Bidvest and Travelex are located in the arrivals area of Terminal A. Here you can buy your South African rand before travelling into the city.
- There are some good souvenir shops in Terminal A at OR Tambo International Airport if you are looking to browse while waiting for a flight. Keep an eye out for souvenirs from South Africa and neighbouring countries in shops such as Out of Africa, Indaba Lifestyle or Big Five Duty Free, and get something that will remind you of your trip to southern Africa.
FAQs - booking Johannesburg flights
How long is the flight to Johannesburg?
What is the cheapest flight to Johannesburg?
The cheapest airline ticket to Johannesburg from India in the last 72 hours was ₹ 37,892 return on the route Mumbai to Johannesburg. The most popular route is Mumbai to Johannesburg and the cheapest ticket found on this route in the last 72 hours was ₹ 31,009 return.
How far is Johannesburg airport from central Johannesburg?
Johannesburg Airport is 21 kilometres from the centre of Johannesburg. View on map.
What is the name of Johannesburg’s airport?
Johannesburg is served by Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, also commonly referred to as O.R. Tambo Intl, OR Tambo, OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg, or simply Johannesburg Airport. The airport code is JNB.
How do I get from OR Tambo International Airport into Johannesburg?
It is advisable to arrange for your hotel to collect you or to use the shuttle bus provided by the airport. Alternatively you can take a taxi, but for the sake of safety ensure that you book an accredited meter taxi service through the Airports Company South Africa information desk, located inside the terminal.
Is there a prayer room at OR Tambo International Airport?
There is a Christian chapel at the airport, which is open 24/7 and additionally holds services at 1pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, as well as every second Wednesday at 7pm. The chapel is situated on Level 2 in Terminal B. There is also a Muslim prayer room in International Arrivals, which is open 24/7 and has a service starting just after noon on Fridays.
How do I transfer between terminals at OR Tambo International Airport?
If you are transferring from an international to a domestic flight you will need to clear customs and change terminals. It is possible to walk between Terminal A (international) and Terminal B (domestic). If you are changing airlines you will need to collect your luggage and check it back in, so it is advisable to leave enough time between flights.
Can I hire a car at OR Tambo International Airport?
There are several national and international car hire companies at OR Tambo International Airport, including Avis, Hertz and Thrifty Car Rental. The car rental desks are located on the ground floor of the parking lot at the domestic terminal (Terminal B). It is advisable to reserve your vehicle in advance.
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool uses historical data to determine whether the price for a given destination and date is likely to change within 7 days, so travellers know whether to wait or book now.
Book Cheap Johannesburg Plane Tickets(Return)
Pros: crew was good. Seat was good but it was a business class seat in a 787-9; so it should be good.
Cons: wines were mediocre which was balanced out by the good quality of the food. Brussels to Abu Dabhi boarding was a little chaotic with coach and front cabin passesgers packed in a single bus. Noticed many older passengers standing for the longish bus ride.
Pros: It landed safely
Cons: Delayed 3hrs with no information just apologies. Toilets onboard not clean and leaking. Several trays broken. Coffe/Tea served by pouring over customers rather than tray with cup. Safety information only shown when landing. Staff bumped isle passengers several times (me 4 times) with no apology. Chaos in serving dinner as special meals and vegetarian meals sent to wrong seats.
Pros: The flight itself,when it occurred, was fine. The original flight was cancelled. Checking into the airport hotel was chaotic and time consuming. We got 5 hours sleep. Check in was also chaotic. The flight was okay but half the plane’s luggage was left behind.
Cons: See above. Our luggage was supposed to arrive last night. It didn’t. We pray it arrives tonight. Very bad service.
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller
At KAYAK we don’t set prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We aggregate tons of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we don't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find on occasion that certain prices are no longer available.
More questions or if you have a bad price to report to us
Please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.