The Olde Bell is a modern coaching inn, set in historic timber framed buildings providing eating, drinking, gatherings and lodgings. Located only 45 minutes from central London, in East Berkshire, with great access to Henley on Thames, Maidenhead. Probably the best known building in Hurley, The Olde Bell first opened its doors in 1135 Ad, as a guest house for visitors to the nearby Benedictine Priory. For hundreds of years, the ringing of the Sanctus Bell signaled to the monks that an important visitor had arrived in the village and was on his way to call at their monastic retreat beside the River Thames. The Sanctus Bell still hangs over the door of The Olde Bell, a sign of welcome and refreshment to travellers.The Olde Bell was an important staging point on the Oxford to London route, with the last recorded schedule in 1890. During World War Two, famous guests at The Olde Bell included Sir Winston Churchill, Dwight D Eisenhower & Colonel Elliot Roosevelt, son of the war-time President, who were all visiting Ladye Place mansion, next to the church, which was being used as a secret U.S intelligence base.Also, during War times, Arms production was dispersed from the Midlands, to escape enemy bombings, and the Two barns were turned into a small arms factory, producing bullets, with a labour force of Hurley ladies. The olde bell has had many owners during its long history, but despite its many changes of ownership, it still keeps to the traditions of st. benedict, that true hospitality be provided to travellers and strangers.