Berkeley car hire information
Reviews and directory for self drive car rentals in Berkeley
Self drive car rental locations in Berkeley
When to book a hire car in Berkeley
Top tips for renting a car in Berkeley
- One of the main reasons to rent a car when visiting Berkeley is that, with one, it is a simple drive to reach the many wonderful nature parks that surround the city. For example, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area offers wonderful views of the bridge, bay, and the city. However, it is a slow process to get there via public transportation, while in a car it just an easy 30-minute drive from central Berkeley.
- Looking to pick up a rental car for your time in Berkeley? If you are flying into San Francisco International Airport, the rental car counters are located in the Rental Car Center. To reach the Rental Car Center from the airport, simply hop onto the AirTrain Blue Line at any of the terminals and get off at the Rental Car Center stop.
- Jaywalking is particularly common in Berkeley and drivers should be on the lookout for pedestrians, particularly when near UC Berkeley. This is partly because of the high density of pedestrians and also because of the many tiny streets in the area. In general, jaywalking isn’t as big of an issue as it is in some other big U.S. cities, but it is still something to look out for.
- Berkeley, like many suburbs in large cities, suffers from daily bouts of rush hour. Typically, drivers can expect rush hour to last from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The evening rush hour can be particularly congested for drivers leaving the downtown area, so it is highly advised to time your driving accordingly. I-80 and the Bay Bridge are two spots to skirt around if you are looking to avoid traffic.
- Book your rental car in Berkeley at least 6 days before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Berkeley
What is the best rental car company in Berkeley?
Which car rental companies are at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
How can I find car rentals near me in Berkeley?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Berkeley?
The roads in Berkeley are more than large enough to accommodate all sizes of vehicles from SUVs to sedans. That being said, there are some neighborhoods with smaller streets; for the most part, however, they aren’t an issue. Additionally, parking is another thing to keep in mind as in the most popular parts of town, larger cars may be difficult to find parking spots large enough for.
What's the speed limit in Berkeley?
Drivers can expect residential speed limits in Berkeley to range from 25 to 35 mph, while on larger roads the speed limit goes up to 50 mph and even up to 65 mph on motorways. On highways and interstates, drivers will see speed limits ranging from 65 to 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Berkeley?
Need to refill the tank while you are in Berkeley? If so, you can expect to pay around $3.45 per gallon of gas. This is slightly above average for the U.S., although it is right within the average for the West Coast.
Where are the best places to park in Berkeley?
Streetside parking can be very difficult to find in the central areas of Berkeley, especially during the peak hours of the work week. Aside from streetside parallel parking, parking garages are the main option available. In general, the garages are your best bet for parking, particularly if you are planning on to a more popular area. Drivers can usually expect to pay around $2.00 - $3.00 per hour for parking.