Chicago car hire information
|Car types||4x4, Box truck, Commercial, Compact, Convertible, Economy, Full-size, Intermediate, Luxury, Minivan, Premium, Standard, Van|
|Popular agencies||Alamo, Airport Van, Routes Car & Truck Rentals, Hertz, Budget|
Car on Rent in Chicago
|Box truck||₹ 10,695/day|
Reviews and directory for self drive car rentals in Chicago
Self drive car rental locations in Chicago
Good to know
|Most popular agency||Alamo|
|Most popular car type||Economy|
|Average price||₹ 5,595/day|
|Good deal||₹ 3,529/day|
When to book a hire car in Chicago
Top tips for renting a car in Chicago
- Are you looking to make the most of your time in Chicago? Renting a car from the airport will allow you to be efficient and drive directly to the doorstep of your destination. With a car you will also have access to the glorious Lake Michigan, the fifth largest lake in the world, with its expanse of beaches and great fishing opportunities. If you are planning to visit the famous Brookfield Zoo, having a car will save you plenty of time and hassle as it is located 13 miles from downtown Chicago.
- A shuttle bus takes you directly from any of O’Hare International Airport’s 3 terminals to the Car Rental Facility, where major rental companies such as Avis, Enterprise, Thrifty, and Budget have counters. O’Hare International Airport is located 18 miles from downtown Chicago and the drive will take approximately 30 minutes.
- When driving around Chicago keep in mind that it is a sport loving town and you will notice the effect this has on road traffic when the White Sox, Cubs, or Bulls play a game. Wrigley Field, Guaranteed Rate Field, and United Center are all located in close proximity to downtown Chicago, so be vigilant and check whether these teams are playing -- and plan an alternative route if necessary to avoid these stadiums during big events.
- Much like other major cities throughout America, rush hour means there will be a lot of congestion on the roads between 7 am and 9 am and 4 pm and 6 pm on weekdays. Being mindful of the increased amount of cars and cyclists on the road is crucial. Keep in mind that it is legal to turn right on a red light unless otherwise indicated.
- 25% of our users found rental cars in Chicago for ₹ 3,529 or less
- Book your rental car in Chicago at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Off-airport rental car locations in Chicago are around 1% cheaper than airport locations on average
- Compact rental cars in Chicago are around 62% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Chicago
How much does it cost to hire a car in Chicago?
On average a hire car in Chicago costs ₹ 5,595 per day.
What is the most popular rental car in Chicago?
Economy (Hyundai Accent or similar) is the most frequently booked rental car type in Chicago.
What is the cheapest car rental company in Chicago?
What is the best rental car company in Chicago?
Which car rental companies are at the airport: O'Hare Intl Airport (ORD)?
Which car rental companies are at the airport: Midway Airport (MDW)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: O'Hare Intl Airport (ORD)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Midway Airport (MDW)?
Which car rental companies will pick you up at the airport: Greater Rockford Airport (RFD)?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Chicago?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Routes Car & Truck Rentals 3901 Mannheim Rd, Schiller Park 60179 (23 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Chicago?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Chicago?
A Economy car rental in Chicago costs ₹ 8,088 per day, on average.
How much does a Compact car rental cost in Chicago?
A Compact car rental in Chicago costs ₹ 2,764 per day, on average.
How much does a Premium car rental cost in Chicago?
A Premium car rental in Chicago costs ₹ 4,317 per day, on average.
How much does it cost to rent a car for a week in Chicago?
On average a rental car in Chicago costs ₹ 39,164 per week (₹ 5,595 per day).
How much does it cost to rent a car long term for a month in Chicago?
On average a rental car in Chicago costs ₹ 167,845 per month (₹ 5,595 per day).
What type of car is recommended for driving in Chicago?
A small compact car such as a Mitsubishi Mirage is ideal for Chicago to help navigate rush hour traffic as well as the narrow streets and street side parking downtown. Choose a car in which you feel comfortable checking the blind spots, as there are plenty of bike lanes and cyclists on Chicago roads. If you are traveling with others and plan to have a mix of inner city life and coastal exploration, try the comfort and security of a Nissan Rogue SUV.
What's the speed limit in Chicago?
Standard residential areas have a speed limit of 30 miles per hour, while non-urban areas have a speed limit of 55 miles per hour. If you venture outside of Chicago and use an Illinois highway to access Lake Michigan or a nearby town, the speed limit will be either 65 or 70 miles per hour.
How are gas prices in Chicago?
You can expect to pay approximately $2.60 per gallon for gas in Chicago, which is in line with the American average. Keep an eye out for price increases around major holidays and the festive season.
Where are the best places to park in Chicago?
Street parking in downtown Chicago can be tricky and expensive, so, to save money and hassle, look into the option of using a parking garage. Alternatively, the Metra train system is expansive and an easy way to travel across the city. Find more accessible parking near a Metra station and leave your rental car there while you explore downtown via public transport.