Newport News car hire information
|Pick-up location||Newport News|
Reviews and directory for self drive car rentals in Newport News
Self drive car rental locations in Newport News
When to book a hire car in Newport News
Top tips for renting a car in Newport News
- It is highly recommended that visitors rent a car during their time in Newport News, as that really is the only way to get around the city. Public transportation is quite lacking and only offers limited service during evenings and on weekends. For instance, if you want to visit Sandy Bottom Nature Park, it is just a 10-minute drive of 4.7 miles. On the bus, however, it can take upwards of 30 minutes.
- If you are like most arrivals landing at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport, then you are likely planning on picking up a rental car there. For such travelers, you can find the rental car desks located in the baggage claim area.
- Due to the suburban nature of Newport News, pedestrians are very common throughout the city. As a result, jaywalking is also a normal occurrence and drivers should keep their eyes open for any unexpected street crossers. Jaywalking occurs most often on Newport News’ smaller streets and in residential areas.
- Newport News, while not on the same level as neighboring Norfolk, still has its fair share of rush hour traffic, particularly during the work week. On most days, the morning rush hour usually picks up at around 6:30-7:00 a.m. and cools down by around 9:00 a.m., while the afternoon rush comes at around 4:00 p.m. and lasts until 6:00 p.m. As far as roads to avoid, the US 17, I-64, and I-664 bridges are major bottlenecks during rush hour and drivers should time their crossings accordingly to avoid the traffic.
- Book your rental car in Newport News at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Newport News
What is the best rental car company in Newport News?
How can I find car rentals near me in Newport News?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Newport News?
As with most cities in the U.S., large, small, and medium-sized cars are all perfectly suited for driving in Newport News. Most of the roads in the city are large and drivers should have absolutely no issues navigating them, even in the most oversized vehicles. Finding parking spots for large cars is also a breeze, thanks to the more than adequately-sized parking spots in the city.
What's the speed limit in Newport News?
Speed limits in Newport News start on the low end with residential roads, which have speed limits between 20 to 35 mph. Urban roads, on the other hand, go up to 50 mph. In rural areas, the speed limit goes all the way up to 60 mph, especially in the case of divided rural roads. The highest speed limits are found on interstates, which have speed limits of up to 70 mph.
How are gas prices in Newport News?
Drivers in Newport News can expect to pay an average of $1.95 per gallon of gas, which, for U.S. gas prices, is on the lower end of the spectrum.
Where are the best places to park in Newport News?
Parking garages and private parking lots are the main go-to option for drivers in the downtown area of Newport News. On-street parking is available throughout the area, but it can be difficult to find an available spot during business hours. Aside from parking garages, most businesses will also have parking available for customers. Paid parking in Newport News typically starts out at $1.00 to $2.00 per hour.