Mobile car hire information
Reviews and directory for self drive car rentals in Mobile
Self drive car rental locations in Mobile
When to book a hire car in Mobile
Top tips for renting a car in Mobile
- Rich in history, Mobile is a popular destination in the United States’ South. You will find it beneficial to rent a car so that you can visit some of the nearby resort and beach towns like Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Dauphin Island (accessed via ferry). With a rental car you can also enjoy the white sandy beaches of the Florida Panhandle.
- Mobile Regional Airport offers easy access to many cities around Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida. This airport provides travelers with many modern conveniences including free wi-fi, coffee shops, eateries, and car rental services. Several rental car agencies are just steps from the terminal, including Thrifty, National, and Hertz. Some others are right across the street.
- When driving on the Alabama highways, keep an eye out for construction workers. By law, you must move over to the lane farthest away from the worker(s) for added safety. Rainstorms are also very common in Mobile, which can cause difficult driving situations. If it starts to rain heavily while you are driving on vacation, be sure to turn on your headlights, slow down to keep control of your vehicle, and don’t brake suddenly, as this can cause you to hydroplane.
- Rush hour in Mobile can add to your travel times. Traffic tends to get busy by around 6 a.m. for the morning commute, although it is the heaviest from 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. approaching downtown. In the evenings commuters typically return home from work between the hours of 4 p.m. and 6 p.m., which can also cause some traffic delays. You’ll especially want to avoid driving on the George Wallace Tunnel during these times.
- Book your rental car in Mobile at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Mobile
What is the best rental car company in Mobile?
How can I find car rentals near me in Mobile?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Mobile?
Because it can get hot in Mobile, you’ll want to rent a car with ample room for your family and a strong air conditioning system. If you travel there during the rainy season, you’ll also want to choose a car that is really safe to drive in harsh weather conditions.
What's the speed limit in Mobile?
When you are visiting restaurants or movie theaters on main roads in Mobile, the speed limit should be either 55 or 65 mph. To keep children safe, residential neighborhoods require you to drive no more than 25 mph. On highways, the maximum speed allowed is 60 mph in the city and 70 mph on the outskirts of town.
How are gas prices in Mobile?
Gasoline is very economical in Mobile. You’ll pay only a little over $2.00 for a gallon of regular gasoline. Expect to pay about $0.30 more for premium grade. Prices on gasoline in Mobile often decreases in the winter months, including the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday.
Where are the best places to park in Mobile?
You’ll find plenty of convenient and safe parking spaces for your rental car around Mobile. There are an abundant number of metered parking spots on the streets. Additionally, there are many parking lots and garages around. Some, like the ones on Government Street and the County Garage on Jackson Street, are city-owned and operated.