Kos car hire information
Reviews and directory for self drive car rentals in Kos
Self drive car rental locations in Kos
When to book a hire car in Kos
Top tips for renting a car in Kos
- One of the main benefits to renting a car while in Kos is that they offer true independence. If being beholden to bus schedules is not for you, then renting a car is your best bet. For instance, say you want to head to the other side of the island and visit Kefalos. You could pay for a bus, or you could just as easily rent a car and see the island for yourself as you make the 39.7-kilometer (24.7-mile) trip.
- For travelers looking to pick up a rental car after arriving at Kos International Airport, the airport’s rental car desks are all located in the main terminal’s Arrivals Hall.
- Driving in Kos is quite easy with traffic moving at a moderate speed compared to most cities, but one thing to keep in mind when driving is that the roads often have a high volume of mixed traffic including bicycles, mopeds, and other alternative vehicles. Often such vehicles may be driving at variable speeds compared to other vehicles on the road, so it won’t be uncommon to have to pass them, especially on major roads.
- Rush hour is mostly non-existent in Kos, except at the airport when there is a large concentration of flights departing around the same time. In the town proper, though, morning rush hour lasts around an hour, from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. The afternoon rush hour period is about the same, with the main congestion hitting at around 4:00 p.m. and lasting until 5:00 p.m.
- Book your rental car in Kos at least 1 week before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in Kos
What is the cheapest car rental company in Kos?
What is the best rental car company in Kos?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Kos?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Alamo Kos Intl Airport Hippocrates 853 02 (21 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find car rentals near me in Kos?
Take a look at our extensive car rental location map to find the best rental cars near you.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Kos?
As it is an island, smaller vehicles such as sedans, compacts, and hatchbacks are all ideal choices for rental car drivers. This is the case because many of the island’s roads are fairly narrow since the roads go back to long before automobiles had even been invented. Additionally, parking spaces on the island are often small and it may be harder to fit in them with a large vehicle.
What's the speed limit in Kos?
Drivers will find that the speed limit starts out at 50 km/h (31 mph) in residential areas and built-up areas. Outside of built-up areas, the speed limit can get all the way up to 90 km/h (56 mph), particularly on larger roads. Additionally, visitors should note there are no highways on Greek islands.
How are gas prices in Kos?
The average price per liter of gas in Kos is around €1.67 ($1.91), which is roughly €6.32 ($7.23) per gallon. This is fairly expensive even for Europe, but the positive side is that distances are quite small on the island so your gas expenditures will still be low.
Where are the best places to park in Kos?
On-street parking is by far the most common option throughout the island, whether you are in residential areas or in the town proper. There are a few private parking lots in Kos, but for the most part on-street parking will suffice. Aside from these two options, many businesses also offer parking to guests and clients so drivers can count on that.